Monday, March 20, 2006

A Moment with Sasha


Some times it is hard to write about things on a daily basis, but today was a special day. Lisa and I had the chance to go to the 2006 World Figure Skating Championships with Frank & Janette King at the Pengrowth Saddledome. I have to admit that at first I was a little skeptical to be willingly going to a mens qualifying long program (for reasons obvious to me in my mind), but after 2 minutes of sitting down and watching the first skater perform I had a renewed appreciate for the skill level it must take to skate at this level. I was amazed at how well these individuals could turn, spin and flip with ease.

Lisa was excited to be at the event regardless of the comments that I was making before we went. During the program I snuck down a few rows to try and take a close up picture of one of the olympic medalists from the US. I over heard an older couple a few seats over discussing amongst themselves an individual a few sections over. I couldn't hear the names or the location of where this individual was so I started to look for someone who might be obvious or that I could recognize. I spotted a girl wearing a fur coat and fur ear muffs so I took a picture of her. It wasn't until I zoomed in on the picture after I had taken it that I realized it was Sasha Cohen. I went back to my seat and showed Lisa the picture just as Sasha was leaving the seating pool. Lisa was so disappointed that she couldn't see her up close, so I started to prompt her to go and ask to have her picture taken together. After some poking and prodding Lisa gave in to her giggles and excitement and ran after Sasha. We caught up to her just before she was about to leave the Saddledome. Lisa asked her if she could take a picture with her and Sasha gladly accepted the request. It made Lisa's day! Of all the people in the figure skating community Sasha was the one that Lisa would have loved to meet. I am glad that she could capture a brief moment of fun with Sasha.

9 comments:

Saunders Family said...

you know your gay when.........

nena said...

WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR SHIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT TELL ME CALIFORNIA.

Stacey Salmon said...

that's cool Lisa. You look VERY happy, and kinda embarrassed in that picture. That would have been fun to go to.
SS

Stacey Salmon said...

I was thinkin gthe same thing Nena. That shirt is really cute Lisa.

burtons*north said...

nevermind lisas shirt, what wookie did sasha skin to get those earmuffs, ha ha ha

burtons*north said...

Hey Dave, since your into mens skating now, you probably appreciate Lisa's shirt as well. C.

Anonymous said...

Well thanks for the compliments on the shirt! I actually did get it in California...at my new favorite store, Anthropology. Stacey, it's in Utah so you have to check it out. Anyway, we just got back from watching the women's practice session. 4 hours of skating...I love it! Sasha was in the last group and she wasn't doing many jumps so I am nervous for her performance tomorrow. Maybe those earmuffs she was wearing are for good luck....she may need them. Audrye had her picture taken with the other US skater Kimmie Meizer. She's a cutie too. She picked Audrey up and everything. It will be fun to watch our new "friends" tomorrow night on TV. Hurray for the Worlds in Calgary!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous you guys get to watch all of these people skate! How fun!! Dave, great post, the pictures really make it complete. Please bring on the next one, "A moment with Kimmie." And, Lisa, I agree with the others-your shirt is so cute...good thing you DIDN"T listen to me by returning it. The SHADES underneath is perfect-way to go!!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that you were able to get a picture with such an awesome skater! My mom just told me that she saw Sasha at a Laker game a while ago. Seesh- she really gets around! Only funky thing is her outfit, she could fit in with all the children in Narnia walking out of the wardrobe. ha ha.