It started with a shipwreck back on January 22, 1906. The 253 foot vessel SS Valencia ran aground just north of Klanawa River on Vancouver Island's west coast. The wild and rugged shoreline bordering a temperate rain forest offered no relief whatsoever and the lives of all 126 passengers were lost! This tragic event spurred the government at that time to construct a trail between Port Renfrew and Bamfield in case of future shipwrecks as this section of the Pacific had been the site of more than 60 shipwrecks since 1854! The present West Coast trail generally follows the route of the historic life saving trail. A heavy wet climate has produced a dense forest of cedar, hemlock, fir and spruce.
The trail is a 77 km (approximately 123,294 steps) hike that consists of approximately 70 ladders (many of which have hundreds of rungs), 130 bridges (including suspension bridges), and 4 cable cars that cross creeks, rivers and gorges. The trail winds it's way through the beach area along the ocean, which has debris from old ship wrecks, through the dense rain forest and over logs and boulders. We are planning on spending 8 days on the trail. I have heard of people doing it in less time, but all accounts state that if you really want to enjoy the trip 7-8 days is the pace to go at.







I couldn't be more excited about this trip! My biggest concern is not being able to capture the moment to share with friends and family when I get home. I found some pictures from someone else who has made the trekk. It has provided me with a glimpse of what I should expect during my 8 days on the trail.
5 comments:
Dave
That looks awesome! I am so excited for you even though I won't get to hang out with you and play guitar hero this summer! :( I am sure that you will love it! Take lots of pictures!
Cara
Woa Dave, this new layout for your blog is fabulous...who would've guessed this great surprise. I love it! Your trip does sound incredible, but I wish it didn't mean you can't come eat CPK with me!
DAVE!!
Come se dice "Awesome"? Man I wish I could join you guys. The trail looks absolutely incredible. I'm so glad you were able to make it happen. I look forward to hearing about the preparations and utlimately seeing the final pics!!
Doug
Looks amazing!! You should take the L-Train!
Hey Dave! (and Lisa, who I've never met - how sad) I've started blogging - check us out.
Your long-lost cousin, Erin
http://hallidayfam.blogspot.com
Post a Comment